Friday, April 4, 2014

Living 10 Years Longer: How Video Games Can Boost Your Spirit

I just got done watch one of the most amazing TED talks for those with all sorts of medical problems. It was amazing. Because it's about playing games. And well, I'm a gamer. I played World of Warcraft almost from it's conception until I got to the point that I couldn't afford the latest expansion and the $15 a month to play. Plus, the guild I had grown to love and was family to me, had splintered apart and moved on. I did continue to add my brother and his family to the game and every partnership I had I managed to get them to play too. It kept us connected. It gave us something to talk about and to strategize how to conquer the next challenge in the game.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life#t-8216

It was amazing to watch. I normally don't have the attention span to sit and watch the TED talks, but this one, this particular one, I couldn't look away from. I couldn't stop listening and feel bored. If anything I had tears in my eyes.

My amazing partner and I are looking for alternative therapy for me. And one of them is in playing games. It seemed hokey at first. How can playing an online game help me get better? Watch the TED talk. It all makes sense. Because when I look back on the days I played WoW with my partners and my online friends, as well as family, I was happier. Life was better. I had purpose and felt good about myself.

Don't want to watch the TED talk, but are curious about the game? Go here https://www.superbetter.com/.

Another game my wonderful partner found was SPARX. http://linkedwellness.com/play-sparx-the-video-game-for-depression/

This one is more focused around depression and finding ways to ground yourself, learn new coping skills and feel accomplished at completing the goals set before you.

Now, I'm not encouraging you to sit in front of your computer, or on your smart phone all day playing games. I'm simply encouraging you to get out there, find a game that you love and play it for 30 minutes, or 5 minutes. Words with Friends is great, if you're a word person, as it helps keep you in touch with people that you otherwise wouldn't connect with on a regular bases.

Fighting depression is hard. The thought of death can sometimes become all consuming. But if you give this a chance and you fight those thoughts, you might find yourself living 10 years longer and happier and have no regrets, as so many do on their deathbeds.

This is what my tea had to share with me today:


"Connect" Connect to those you love and that love you back. Reach out for community and self awareness. These aren't easy things. They are so easy for me to write and yet so difficult for me to follow. I have a partner that reminds me daily to do these little things. To find games that challenge me and help me explore new worlds and see life in a different way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment