Thursday, May 1, 2014

Recreational/Medicinal

I live in Colorado. It is legal to obtain marijuana (MJ) for medicinal purposes, and just recently it has become legal on the recreational level as well.

Sadly medicinal MJ can only be obtain in CO by having what is called a Red Card, and from what I understand one can only obtain a Red Card due to chronic pain, cancer and that sort of thing, depression and anxiety are not covered under medicinal law. This is bad news for me, as MJ helps greatly for anxiety, and the right strains of MJ can also help with depression. (http://www.hightimes.com/read/10-illnesses-helped-pot)

Well, today I decided to bite the bullet and check out the first "recreational" MJ dispensary in town. Anxiety all the way there (I'd forgotten to grab the directions and thus had to go by what I remembered from looking up the information the day before and had written down). The anxiety stemmed from going so far out of my comfort zone, physically, the place is clear across town. I found it, without any problems. The big hang up once I got there was that someone who makes me extremely uncomfortable to be near was standing by the front door. I hadn't see this guy in ages and I had no desire to do so now. So I calmly parked across from the shop and waited for him to leave. All the while my anxiety is wanting to show it's ugly head and run. But I know that I need this. MJ is much better on my body than these bloody anxiety pills.

I finally went in, looking way confused. The shop (Choice Organic) provides for both medicinal and now recreational. I finally figured out that I needed to get my name on a list and they'd call me when someone was ready to assist me. It was about a 20 minute wait. I refused to play with my phone (so many people with their heads down and playing some game or who knows what). I listened and breathed. Did all that I could do to keep the anxiety at bay. I had stopped on the way there and gotten cash, which was a good idea, because I found out they only take cash. My name was finally called and I was let into the actual shop area. Talked to a great guy about what I was looking for and he helped me find the right blend that will help keep my anxiety at bay and lift me up.

All in all it was a pleasant experience. And now that I've done it once I know I can do it again, I'll still have to fight the anxiety, driving that far across town and not knowing who might be sitting in the waiting room with me. But this time I did it.

I've been having a lot of ups and downs. Very short ups and rather rotten downs.

I officially have no insurance. I cannot afford Cobra. I'm hoping soon my partner will be able to add me to his insurance. Thankfully my meds have plenty of refills and I don't need insurance to get them.

Things could be better. Things could be a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment